You are one month old, today!! Happy one month, sweet girl. I can't believe one month has already flown by!!! It seems like it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r for you to get here, and now you are already a whole month old. I had so much fun getting you all dolled up for your first month's birthday picture! You are such a sport about letting mommy play dress-up with you. You even put up with all the pictures I take and you sometimes even pose like you know what you're supposed to do!
Oh, AB, you will NEVER know the joy your Daddy and I felt the day you came into this world. It was by far the happiest day of our life, and I didn't think anything could top our wedding day, but your birthday sure did. Your Daddy had a smile on his face that went from ear to ear. Now, you're Daddy is a pretty sweet guy, but never has he smiled that big and that much in the ten years that we had been together. You most definitely bring out the good in us and our marriage. We loved you instantly.
As I think back on the best, and by far, busiest month of my life, I have such fond, fond memories of the day you were born and the time in the hospital. Every time the nursery would bring you to me, I just stared at you in amazement - you were really mine. We knew instantly you were a good baby. You cried only when you were hungry, and when you were awake, you were perfectly content with just being held. You opened those big, beautiful eyes and we just fell so in love with them. Everyone commented on how alert you were. Your Dad and I thought so, too. Did I mention, AB, that you didn't want to come out??? Nope. You probably would still be tucked safely inside my womb, had the doctor not made you come out. Even when you did make your debut, you for sure let us know that you would much rather be back where you were warm, safe, and not bothered. The nurses in the delivery room were laughing about how you were carrying on so. Oh, you cried at the top of your lungs to let everyone know that they had disturbed you in your quiet place. My goodness though, was your cry music to my ears. You calmed down once they handed you to your Daddy. You still do that. He has a gentle, calming way to him. Works with Mommy, too.
The time in the hospital was so wonderful with you, Annabelle, Mommy almost didn't want to leave. It was fun getting you all dressed up to go home. You wore the same dress that Mommy wore when I went home from the hospital. Did I mention how much you and I look alike? Our baby pictures are very similar. You, again, were such a champ that day letting me put the dress on you and you even wore a bow with no qualms. You are such a good baby. In the hospital a good friend brought me Peanut Butter M&M's. I ate them the whole time I was there. To this day, I still demand that a package of PB M&M's be lying around the house for me to munch on. I figured this isn't just because I love the taste, but because it reminds me of that sweet time we first spent together. Since I am nursing you, I figure you will either grow up to love PB M&M's or absolutely detest the taste since I am constantly eating them. In the hospital, I literally just held you for two days straight (when we didn't have visitors, that is). Speaking of visitors, man, did you have a lot of people come to see you. You were quite the popular one around here, Miss AB.
This last month you have taught me so much! Being the only child self-centered person that I am, you have taught me to definitely be a lot more self-less. It is all about you now, baby girl. And I am proud to no longer put myself first and to think about you and your needs. After four weeks, I already know so much about you. I guess that's because we spend every single waking hour together, huh? We can tell that you do heir a bit on the stubborn side. Don't worry about it, though, you come by it naturally. You will fight going to sleep with all that is in you. Your eyes can be completely shut and Daddy and I think that you're asleep, then the next thing we know, you're wide awake and talking up a storm to yourself. And yes, you do talk. You also smile at us. We couldn't believe that our (at the time) three week old baby is smiling and cooing and communicating with us. You have the sweetest little voice and Daddy and I could sit with you for hours on end listening to all the things you have to "say." I find you are most responsive and alert after you get through eating. You are laying in my lap staring at me, and I will start talking to you and making the silly faces that Mommies make at their babies, and before I know it, you have a huge smile on your face. It's heaven, pure heaven.
Your Daddy and I could just stare at you all day. I think when we first brought you home, and Daddy had two weeks off with me, we did. We just stared at you. You can really make us laugh, too. Some of the things we find funny; you make hilarious faces in your sleep. Sometimes they are huge gummy smiles, and other times you do the funniest things with those sweet lips of yours. We also laugh, because girl, you can toot with the best of them! I know you're probably going to kill me for this when you read this when you're 18, but I have to mention it. One reason being, Daddy thinks that little girls don't do that. It isn't "ladylike." Well, you showed him, because sometimes that is how you greet him when he gets home from work. He is sweet talking to you, and then you just let one rip. It makes Mommy laugh very hard.
Oh, and how you can cry and let us know you mean business. You don't do this very often, but when you do, there is no messing around. You have the most perfect little cry and make the most sad and pitiful faces. Oh, they are precious. I remember at your two week appointment, you had to get a shot in your leg. My goodness, it STILL brings tears to my eyes when I think about your face when you got that shot. I immediately picked you up and fought back my own tears. I do not like seeing my baby girl in pain. Most of the time, your cry is just to let us know you want to eat...really, really want to eat! Other times it is because you are fighting your sleep. Remember that stubborn thing I was talking about? Yes, this is where it most shows. You will be crying and fighting it, then in the middle of this little tantrum, you will yawn a big yawn. These are the times I wish I could reason with you and explain, that yes, you are sleepy and you need to just give into it. I can't do that, so I just let you throw your fit. It's really the cutest fit I've ever seen.
Rarely, Miss Annabelle, do you leave this house without a bow on your head. Mommy LOVES the bows. I try not to get too outrageous with them, but I just can't help myself. Nobody will mistake you for a boy, you can bet on that.
My favorite time of the day with you is your mid-morning feeding. I love this time because right after I get done feeding you, I don't want to put you down. You usually fall asleep in my arms or on my chest. At this time, I take advantage of napping with you. We both sleep for a couple of hours at least. Speaking of sleep, girlfriend, you are an awesome sleeper. It may take you a while to get there, but once you do...you can sleep with the best of them. At two weeks old, you were sleeping five hours at a time through the night. Your Daddy and I can't believe how lucky we are, because you will find out as you get older...Mommy and Daddy LOVE to sleep. We cherish it, but don't worry, we cherish you more. When you were almost three weeks old you slept eight hours through the night. I have to admit, I was terrified when I first woke up and realized how much time had lapsed between your last feeding and when I woke up. As soon as I saw you were ok, I realized that you had slept for that long. I was amazed. I love, love, love it when you are all swaddled and sleeping. You have the most peaceful look on your face, and I could just eat you up. Speaking of swaddling, your Daddy is the swaddling champ! I even wake him up at early morning hours just to swaddle you to get you back to sleep. I will miss when you aren't swaddled anymore. I love having you all bundled up and snuggling with you.
Oh, but your smiling face tops all my favorite Annabelle "faces". You show us those beautiful gums of yours and it makes our hearts smile. Some people actually argue with us when we tell them you are smiling, but we know you are. It isn't gas, it isn't a coincidence, you are smiling at us. We are the Mommy and the Daddy, and we know when our baby is smiling and whe she has "gas." Here's proof!
Bath time has become one of your favorite times and this is where we see a lot of smiles and cooing from you. However, your first couple experiences with the bath weren't that great, but you have really started to enjoy it. Your Daddy and I really enjoy this time with you, too. Speaking of others enjoying you, the animals (and there are quite a few of them) in this house have really claimed you as their own, Scout mostly. She is very concerned when you cry and seem upset. She usually comes up to you and gives you a quick kiss on the head, and if I'm not paying attention, a quick kiss right in the smack middle of your face. This doesn't seem to bother you, but you always look a bit surprised when she does it. I think you two are going to be best buds, and you will definitely have another being in this house looking after you. Sometimes when you are in your swing, she will lay beside you...it's very sweet.
Oh my sweet AB, you are definitely a gift from above and I can't begin to tell you what a joy you are. I love you so very much and I can't wait to see what the months ahead will bring. I can only imagine after one month how much I love you, how that love will only grow as you get older. You are precious, absolutely precious, and I couldn't ask for anything more. Your Daddy and I agree, you are the best thing that has ever happened to us and we want the very best for you. We pray for you all the time and ask God's protection over you. You are most definitely Heaven Sent, and I couldn't ask for a better gift.Mommy

1 comment:
I am not going to lie...I teared up a couple of times when I read this! We love you 3 very much! Uncle Jonas and Aunt Jill will always be here for your Annabelle! Love you sweet thing!
Post a Comment