Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Bane of my Existence

This, supposedly, wonderful invention to keep mothers from worrying about their kids being in their rooms by themselves and knowing what they are doing and how they are doing at all times, is causing me quite a bit of grief. We've recently moved AB into her own room in the last couple of weeks. I HATE it! I hate it because of this wonderful piece of technology that I should be grateful for; and don't get me wrong - I am grateful that my wonderful Grandmother purchased it for me, but I'm obsessed with it!! I find myself waking up continuously through the night just to stare at it to make sure AB is still in her bed. This monitor has an awesome microphone attached to the camera, and literally, if Annabelle lets out a sigh or a slight whimper, I can hear it. I can also hear EVERY move she makes. When her little arms and legs move across her sheets, it makes a noise. This thing rocks...but I hate it. All of those irrational "mommy" fears come into play and I find myself waking up several times a night to make sure she's still in her bed, and that the sounds I'm hearing isn't someone coming to take her out of her bed. I miss her sleeping next to me in her pack-n-play. I've found several excuses the last couple of nights to keep her in our room. I have to stop this. It's just hard. Now Austin and I sleep with our bedroom door wide open and her bedroom door wide open, so I can rush in there in a split second if I have to. Oh, maybe I'll get over it one of these days. I just hope she's not a teenager before I do.

3 comments:

Evan and Nicole said...

I love you. :)

The Tidwells said...

That is awesome. I mean, I hope you can get some sleep one day but it shows what a wonderful & caring mommy you are. We moved Avery out at 7 weeks to get her on a schedule before I went back to work. I am used to it now, but the first few nights I heard her on the monitor I ran into her room. Literally, I RAN. Josh thought I was crazy, but I had to make sure she was ok. Being a parent is wonderful & makes you a tad crazy! :)

Marci said...

I am still addicted to our monitor (for Nathan), so I feel your pain! Although, I'm not quite as obsessed as I used to be. It'll get easier! :)