Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Landree is One Year Old!

Landree Claire,

It was a year ago that I saw your beautiful face for the first time. I was so happy, relieved and overjoyed to have you in the world! I remember when I first saw your sweet face...and gums.


Daddy and I were so smitten with you. You instantly brought joy and I loved seeing you and Daddy together. He had another little girl to fall in love with.



However, I think the most joyous day of my life was the day you and your sister met. I have never seen anyone so happy to meet anyone in their life, than your sister was on that day. That was the day you became best friends, and you have been ever since.





I didn't know that first couple of days of your life that we would be taken on a month long journey in the hospital. I can't lie. It was hard. Very hard. It was so deceiving seeing how precious you were and seemed like everything was just fine. Your little body just didn't want to cooperate. It would have rather slept instead!

But Mommy and Daddy were so proud. We love you so much.






My heart ached the day I had to leave you at the hospital. No mother should have to leave their baby at the hospital by themselves. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I so enjoyed my visits to the hospital to see you everyday. I would have much rather have visited you in the comfort in our own home though. Oh, but you brought joy to my heart.








The day we got to bring you home was such a happy, happy day. I finally dressed you up in cute clothes with bows - FINALLY - I could put bows on you! You still slept almost most of the time, but you at least looked fashionable doing so.






What a joyous day that was for all of us, to bring you home. However, I think the person most excited and proud to have you at her side was your sister. She's still your #1 fan. She loves you more than words can express and is constantly kissing you...still!! You are her pride and joy. I love that.














We've had some roller coaster rides over the last year. It was heart-wrenching to watch you aspirate during your swallow study, and even more heart wrenching to watch the nurses have to stick a tube down your nose - this would be your only source of eating and nutrition over the next three months. It freaked Daddy and I out at first, but you are our baby, we wouldn't hesitate to do WHATEVER we needed for you.

Oh, and what a happy day when that tube came out! We had one put in your belly instead. Yes, that was intimidating, too....but nothing like constantly worrying about you pulling it out like you did the one in your nose. I loved the day I could admire your gorgeous face again--with NO TUBE and tape on your cheeks.

Oh, and what a beautiful face you have.














You are happy 98% of the time. Literally, you are always content and smiling, or giggling. When you aren't, I document it. Sorry. But it is so rare I find it intriguing sometimes when you get upset. You have only done it a handful of times. You take everything as it comes, and usually do it with a smile on your face. I sometimes feel bad for your poor sister. Between you and me, she's a bit....well....dramatic. She falls down and skins her knee and you'd think she got her leg cut off. I often remind her you have a daunting hole in your belly, and you still smile and don't let it get you down. You don't either. You're a trooper.












How you've blessed us Miss LC. We have had such a wonderful last year just because you are here. You've added something to this family that was missing. You've helped us learn to put things in perspective and learned to smile at things more often that frown. You are nothing but pure joy. We love you!!!

Happy first birthday, sweet angel!




Love you so very much,

Mommy

No comments: