Sunday, January 15, 2012

Confessions of a Potty Training Mom

I feel like I could have created a whole new blog just on the topic of potty training. Potty training. Ick. Those words make me cringe as I say them. Call me crazy, but before I attempted to take on this new feat, I thought it would be easy. I knew it may take some time, but never did I think it would cause me this much stress, frustration and emotion! I guess it doesn't help that I'm 6 months pregnant, too.

I noticed the other day that I have three, new {and visible, I might add} gray hairs. All of which I am certain I got from the last four and a half weeks of potty training. In fact, a couple of weeks ago as I was in the middle of a raging fit (yes, me, not Annabelle), Austin told me to just go put a diaper back on her and forget the whole thing? Forget the whole thing?!? What?!? As steam was coming out of my ears and I proceeded to ask him why he thought I should do that, his reply was calm and simple, "Well Babe, I fear this whole potty training thing is changing you as a person. I just don't think it's worth it." Ok. 'Nuff said. I get it. I was over reacting. I needed to take a chill pill. So that's when I tried to take it easy. I certainly didn't want who I am as a person to change!!!!!!!

So, I made a huge deal out of the positives that she would receive and simply informed her of the negatives if she had an accident in her pants. She was doing better, but still have at least one accident a day. It wasn't until she went back to Andrea's that I really got upset. All day long at Andrea's she would stay dry AND poop in the potty. This was what she was having the hardest time with at home. After two straight days of going to Andrea's and completely accident-free, then coming home and pooping and peeing in her pants RIGHT AFTER I asked her if she needed to go, I had enough of it. I pulled down her messy pants and panties before putting her on the potty, and popped her one on her bottom. It would be one thing if she was consistent with her accidents at Andrea's and at home, but for whatever reason she was controlling or manipulating the situation with me.

This was the first real, bare bottom spanking my child really had ever had. I felt terrible. So, I sat her on the potty, walked away for a minute and came back. I sat down on a stool in front of her on the potty, and that was it...I burst into tears. I asked her to please, please stop having accidents in her panties because it was making Mommy very sad. I could see in her eyes she finally got it. She saw that it wasn't a game to me. I was serious. She put her sweet little hand on my face and said, "I'm sorry, sweetie. Don't cry. Don't be sad. I won't do it again." Talk about melt my heart. So, I hugged her sweet little neck and told her that I knew she could do it, and to please try harder from now on. She said, "Ok. I will." She's a girl of her word. She hasn't had an accident since. I don't believe the spanking had anything to do with it. I don't think that spanking will help speed things up with potty training. Ask my mom. I think it was letting her see that I was really sad, and the way to make me happy was to go in the potty.

I've been very sure to give her lots of verbal praise and special treats every now and then for her excellent job in staying dry and going poo poo in the potty.

She's pretty satisfied with the rewards and I know she's proud of herself! So am I!

I don't know why potty training has to drive us so crazy as moms. I was talking to a mom the other day, and I think she hit the nail on the head when she said, "You know, potty training does something to us as moms. It makes us different...and I don't necessarily mean in a good way!" Thanks, Renee, you're exactly right. However, just like potty training itself, we get over the hump and then we're fine. I'm just trying really hard not to think about doing this again in about three years. Oh, joy....

1 comment:

Dewawn Wiest said...

I hate (with a passion) potty training! It's even more difficult with a boy because I can't physically SHOW him how to do it. Ugh...I think I'll leave it for his kindergarten teacher.