Thursday, January 3, 2013

State Fair 2012 (AKA) R.I.P Big Tex

My absolute favorite time of the year is fall. Fall kicks-off the holiday season for me. What makes it "official" in my mind is the great State Fair of Texas. I have loved the fair since I was a little girl. As a matter of fact, I have a routine of where I go, eat and see at the fair every year. My poor family has to fall in line with my State Fair agenda, but they just go along with it. 

This year was a little different, because for the first time Austin and I went just by ourselves, first. I had a few extra tickets this year because of a sweet hook-up I got from one of my friends in the district. So, Austin and I had already been, but Miss AB who talks about the fair and Big Tex, year-round, hadn't been yet. So, we planned to go back on Friday, October 19th. I remember the date, clearly, because this was the day of Landree's geneticist appointment. Since Austin could not get off for my fair day, we had planned to go after Landree's appointment, since we both took that day off. Well, little did we know that October 19, 2012 would go down in the history books for the State Fair of Texas. This is the day that Big Tex...burned up. 

I remember we had left Medical City and had to run back home, because genius me left the fair tickets at home. So, I remember waiting in the car while Austin ran inside and I was checking my Facebook. All of a sudden, status after status was something about Big Tex on fire. I instantly googled it, sure enough it was all over the news...Big Tex was on fire. What?? How could that happen?? What was I going to tell the three year old in the back seat who had been told all morning that's who we were going to see? 

Austin and I decided to not let her know he burned up. We told her instead he got a boo boo and was taken down, but would be back next year. I don't think her little mind wrapped around the fact that she still wouldn't see him. 

This was hard for me, too. I'd been to the fair for at least 20 years straight and the first stop (after the petting zoo...and maybe the tater twisters stand) was Fletcher's corny dogs, right there in front of Big Tex.

I remember when we turned the corner to first spot Big Tex. He wasn't there. This was such a strange sight for me. He should have been in the middle, straight back, in this picture.


I was relieved, though, that he was taken down and his burnt frame wasn't standing there for AB to see. All that was left was some charred metal, but very hard for AB to see.


However, the confused and disappointed look on her face was too much. We told her not to worry, that he would get well soon and be back next year. She had question after question, but seemed to take it well.


So, we went on about our day stuffing our faces and doing what we do at the fair - EAT! 

AB enjoyed the day still and continued on in her parents tradition of eating all of our favorite foods. I loved her sweet little happy face this day.




As for Miss Landree, we can always tell her that her first visit to the fair was a historical one! She was her normal happy self on this day. She's an Aldrich/Hamlin for sure...loves the Fair, already.


Smiling at her Daddy!
Our last stop was the Creative Arts building to see Krista's amazing photography talents. A picture she had taken of her beautiful baby niece, Kylie, placed in the category she entered it in. This was Annabelle's favorite part of the day. Krista had come to play with AB earlier in the month and told her to go look for the picture of Kylie. AB spotted it herself and was so excited when she did! 


October 19, 2012...RIP Big Tex. We'll miss the old you, but look forward to the new improved you for the following year.

No comments: