Wednesday, May 2, 2012

First Doctor's Appointment

LC had her first check-up with Dr. Straughn yesterday. I dressed her in the same outfit that AB wore to her first check up with Dr. S. AB was five days old when she wore this, as opposed to LC being nearly a month old. Funny thing though, I realized that the dress fit them almost the same. That's because at this appointment, LC weighed 8 lbs 4 oz, and AB was almost exactly that weight at her five day appt. I was having some serious deja vu! It was fun to get LC all dressed up to leave, even if it was back to the doctor. I didn't get a full body shot like I wanted, but here's my sleeping beauty after the appointment.


I wish I had taken more pictures, but I was so preoccupied with her paper work and the bajillion questions I had for Dr. Straughn. Poor Dr. S. I had a bajillion questions with a relatively healthy baby...imagine how bad I'm going to be with LC, who spent a month in the NICU!

I came to this appointment really concerned about her "wet" congested sounds she makes when she eats. She's also started this inward breathing business and squeaking. I was worried she was aspirating when she was eating and wanted to get it checked out. Dr. S came to the conclusion he believes she has reflux. Is it weird I overjoyed with this news? Finally! Something normal and treatable to deal with. He called her in a prescription and we're doing some small things at home to help ease the symptoms associated with the reflux. He wants to see her back in a week to see how she's doing with her reflux and to monitor her weight gain. I have so many fears about her regressing while being at home and having to be readmitted to the hospital. I hope we never have to do that again. It's an incredibly emotionally and physically draining thing.

All in all, it was a good appointment. He was pleased with her weight gain - whew! He also said he could faintly hear her heart murmur - I hope this means she's outgrowing it, but we'll be following up with the cardiologist in a few weeks to check up on that, as well. He also said her muscle tone seemed good. This was a relief to me seeing that poor muscle tone is a symptom of her condition.

That's right, LC! You show us all that you are stronger than any condition and you and God have this! He's got you wrapped up in the palm of his Mighty Hand and you are going to bring so much glory to His name through all of this! I hope you remember to thank Him for all of these small victories and improvements. I hope you also remember to thank Him for the bad news, too. Mommy's had to learn this. It isn't easy, but I am thankful. I've already learned so much - mainly to rely on Him for EVERYTHING!! I love you, sweet girl.

2 comments:

Marci said...

SO glad to hear everything is going well...really happy for you. :) She's beautiful.

Krista said...

She's such a beautiful baby! I love seeing all her pictures...she's so sweet! :)