Thank you for taking an interest in our family blog! It is a private blog, and I appreciate you not sharing your login information. I hope you can tell that we love Jesus and are living solely to raise our children to make much of His name and to stand out in a world of sin and conformers. I hope you find that what you read is genuine. Nothing is put on for show to make us look ideal. We are ANYTHING BUT the ideal family. We are real. We have problems. We trust Jesus in all we do.
Friday, April 2, 2010
Confessions of a Working Mom - Part VII: It Really Does Get Easier
The old me is back, but the old me is still the same me, except a new and improved me. Make sense? Before Annabelle my life was teaching. I was up at work {almost} every night until 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. Austin wouldn't get home much before that, so I'd much rather have been at work being productive then sitting at home. Well, when I got pregnant with AB, I knew all of that would probably change. So, when I was about four months pregnant, I started choosing one late day to get everything done in one evening, and leaving every other day at 3:15. Good plan. I loved, loved teaching. My students became like my own children. I would get butterflies when I learned something new and couldn't wait to implement it in the classroom. When I had Annabelle, I became consumed with being a new Mommy and I was torn between her and my job. That was the problem though, it was never just a job to me. It was a passion. When I was at work, I felt guilty and needed to be with Annabelle. When I was at home with Annabelle, I felt guilty about not doing something at work. Don't get me wrong, I've never dreaded coming to work. I've for the most part, dreaded leaving AB, but never coming to a place to be around kids and watch their eyes light up when they learn something new. Over the two or three months, it's dawned on me; I'm back to the old me. I've finally learned how to balance being a mom and a teacher and I'm loving it. I wasn't even sad to come back after spring break. Even when I type that, I think in the back of my mind, "Ooh. Does that make me a bad mom? Shouldn't I want to not come back?" However, I don't feel like a bad mom. Most of that being because Annabelle has a sitter that is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. She loves Annabelle, and even better, Annabelle loves her. She loves being at her house, but when I pick her up, watching her face light up when she sees me is so worth it. I've noticed something about being a working mom; that time that AB and I spend together is so much fun and I don't take advantage of one second of it. I truly value my time with her, and I think more so than if I stayed at home. Anyway, I'm rambling. The bottom line is, everyone kept telling me, "It gets easier." I'd smile and nod, and frankly not believe them. They were right (thanks, Marci)! It does get easier. I'm not saying that one day the day might come when I want or get to stay home with my children (yes, children...we are planning on more than one), but right now I'm right where I need to be. Full time teacher the first part of the day, and full time mom the last part of the day. It really is the best of both worlds for me. I have a wonderful work family, awesome bosses, and wonderful hours. I get AB by 3:30 everyday and I have the rest of the afternoon to do whatever we want. Not to mention all the breaks and summer time. Thank you for all of you who continued to pray for me when I first came back. It was hard, but luckily I have a wonderful class and I'm having a ball with them. God has truly blessed me with two things I've always asked his blessing on: being a mom and a teacher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are an amazing person...to have such love for both teaching and being a mommy! I know it's hard to hear "it'll get easier" when you're going through it, but now you know it does. And truly, I DID appreciate the time I had with Madison when I was working - it was more special because I didn't have much of it. Don't get me wrong, I love being home with Nathan, but I don't feel like I make the most of it sometimes! Anyway, just keep teaching for two more years (well three)....I'm DEFINITELY requesting you for Nathan. :)
Post a Comment