Saturday, April 14, 2012

Landree's Stay in the NICU: Day 7

April 13, 2012

I hope that this post makes up for the April 11th post. That was the lowest I've been as of yet. I'm praying desperately that we don't have another day like that, but I'm also praying that God prepares my heart for whatever it may hear. So on a lighter note, this day was a wonderful, wonderful day.

I didn't go in for her 9:00 am feeding because I took AB to MDO at First Baptist that day. I'm very blessed because two of my friends that work there, offered to let her come at no charge if I need to. I quickly accepted the offer for Friday because Austin had a doctor's appointment that morning and I was hoping to get there early enough to talk to the doctor. So, I dropped AB off and then called the NICU to let them know I was on my way and see how she did for her 9 am. The nurse, Fran, whom I haven't met yet, was very happy to inform that when the OT had been in to work with her for that feeding she took THE ENTIRE BOTTLE and had a very successful feeding. She was awake and alert and just did awesome. That couldn't have made this Mommy's heart any happier. I was floored! I couldn't wait to get up there and see her awake.

When I walked in, I was greeted with these big, beautiful brown eyes.


This girl, she stayed awake the entire time I was there and through her 12 noon feeding. That was nearly five hours this little turkey was awake! Hallelujah!! This is the most this child has stayed awake. That's a lot for her. Being awake that long can really tucker one out. Check out that big yawn.


Not only did she take her whole bottle that morning, but she hadn't had any spit ups either. That's something else they were concerned about. She was spitting up way too much and the color was a bright yellow color that concerned the doctor. However, her upper GI showed that everything was fine with her, intestinally. They switched her feedings over to every other being a formula feeding (Gentle Ease) for her spitting up issue. She's done so much better since. I'm hoping that I won't have to stop pumping because my supply is so much better than it was with AB. I mean, check that out!


Austin and I came back for her 3:00 feeding, hoping and praying that she would be as alert as she was for her 9:00...and hoping that the feeding would be just as successful. However, I told myself that not every feeding will go like that, most likely. So, to not set my self up for a let down, I had trained my mind not to expect as much of a success.

Unfortunately, I was right. Her 3:00 didn't go as well as the morning. She was so tired for this one and didn't do nearly as well. She was back to her "norm" of 15 ml/cc. That's fine, I gave her a pass seeing as that taking that full feeding and being awake that long probably wore her out.

We were encouraged that she was also taking her paci so well. The sound of her sucking on that paci was music to my ears, seeing as that the doctor the day before had told me she thought she may an oral aversion. Well, would a baby sucking on a paci for 30 minutes + have an oral aversion? I don't know, but it was refreshing to this mommy. I loved she made some progress this afternoon, even if they were small victories, they were still victories for Landree.



Austin and I went back up for her 9:00 pm feeding. Again, no expectations from me. I couldn't set myself up for that kind of disappointment. She was still lethargic at this feeding and only at 15 ml/cc again. That's ok, though. Spending that time with our girl is worth it...asleep or awake. We were encouraged because we heard that the doctor ordered a thyroid test to double check on her thyroid again. Really? THANK YOU! Thank you, doctor, for ordering a test that the results will be returned within a couple of hours as opposed to a couple of weeks. Thank you for looking for things that could be more obvious than just assuming there is something genetically wrong with our baby. If there is something genetically wrong, that's one thing, but at least someone is being proactive. 

Today was a good day! Thank you, Jesus, for small victories and progress. I'm not looking for an overnight recovery here...just little things to provide hope. I think it's very telling that the day before I handed it over to God. She belongs to him, anyway. Then, the next morning she's done something she's never done before. Thank you, Jesus!

No comments: